I N G R E D I E N T S
- 1 cup packed grated carrot (200g)
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- ½ cup apple sauce (120g)
- ½ cup sultanas
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar (or white vinegar)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 ½ cup spelt flour (or normal flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup sugar
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
M E T H O D
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line a 20cm/20cm square tin with baking paper
- Mix together the wet ingredients: grated carrot, eggs, apple sauce, olive oil, vinegar, maple syrup & vanilla essence. Let these sit for at least 10-15 minutes in fridge.
- In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients: spelt flour, baking powder, cinnamon, sugar & coconut
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and then fold together until just combined (don’t overmix)
- Bake for approximately 30 mins (or until cake bounces bake in centre)
N OT E S
1. You can mix together wet ingredients in the morning
and then leave in the fridge all day.
2. Freeze any leftovers for a dairy free or vegetarian
option later in the week.
This recipe is dairy free and vegetarian.
GF: Use GF flour
Egg Free: Use egg replacer (Orgran brand)
Back to blog