The health and wellbeing of the community is, and will always be, at the heart of the Y NSW’s purpose.
On 6 October 2021, the Board of Directors and Executive Leadership team of the Y NSW announced the decision to require all Y employees over the age of 16 in New South Wales to be fully vaccinated to enter a Y centre or site or attend a Y event unless they have a medical exemption. The Y NSW had asked employees for their views and, in line with our values and commitment to keeping our people and our communities safe, healthy and connected the organisation, has made this decision.
The best way for the Y NSW to provide a safe and healthy workplace and community environment is for people to be vaccinated against COVID-19.
“This vaccination requirement is part of our COVID-19 Vaccination Policy, which was endorsed and approved by our Board,” said Susannah Le Bron, CEO of the Y NSW.
“Everything we do at the Y NSW is about ensuring community health and wellbeing can thrive and I know that our people are committed to this in every aspect of their work. Vaccination against COVID-19 will mean we can all thrive and undertake our work for the Y with our safety, the safety of our teammates, and the safety of our community at the forefront of all we do.
“It's important for me to call out that currently this policy applies to our staff who work at our sites based in NSW and not those based in the ACT. Given that NSW is significantly more populous than the Territory, has significantly higher COVID cases and that the NSW Government have provided clear guidance on their requirements, the decision has been made that for the time being the policy only applies to our people who work in centres and facilities in NSW,” said Ms Le Bron.
Y NSW employees working in Children’s Services were already required to have had a double dose of a COVID-19 vaccine by 8 November 2021 under the current Public Health Order in place for the Early Childhood Education and Care sector. The Y NSW has extended this policy to all employees working at our NSW sites.
The Y stands by its Organisational Values, which are core to the not-for-profit’s direction and policies. The Board of Directors and the Executive team have mandated the COVID-19 vaccination as a requirement to visit and work at the Y because we are:
- Responsible for ensuring we are doing all we can, including getting vaccinated, to protect our teammates and the wider community.
- Caring for those who cannot medically receive the vaccine because they don’t have the choice. This includes children under 12 years of age and those who are medically exempt, and we know that our collective strength in getting vaccinated means they will be safer.
- Respectful of each other and show kindness to one another and our customers as we continue to navigate the application of our Vaccination policy and how that will apply to our direct delivery of service and the communities we support.
- Honest with you and will continue to be transparent with you on all matters relating to vaccination. We will continue to provide you with information from reputable sources about COVID-19 vaccines and guidance on where to access a vaccine.
- Committed to prioritising Safety – for you, our customers and our communities. Safety always comes first, and we know that by getting vaccinated, we are providing a workplace and a service environment for our customers that is healthier and safer for everyone.
Lyndal Stuart, Head of Corporate Affairs, Y NSW
Phone: 0456 773 680