For most children and young people growing up in Australia is a journey experienced in safe, healthy and positive environments. It is about discovering life with the support of caring and protective families.
At the YMCA NSW the safety and well-being of children, young people and vulnerable adults is our highest priority. The right to be able to enjoy a safe environment free from threats, abuse or mistreatment is first and foremost to our service commitment to our clients and communities.
In 2015, to reinforce this commitment we added “Safety” to our organisational values and supported this within a framework of “acting differently”.
This emphasis on Safety as a value significantly improves its ongoing visibility within the YMCA and our staff is encouraged to act differently as the foundation of cultural accountability. This essentially means holding yourself and others accountable, being transparent and learning from your mistakes.
YMCA Statement of Commitment
YMCA NSW, including its Board of Directors, commits to creating and maintaining an environment that ensures all people involved in YMCA NSW activities, programs or services act in the best interests of children, young people and vulnerable adults, and take all reasonable steps to ensure their safety, welfare and wellbeing.
There is a requirement for all YMCA NSW employees, volunteers (including its Board of Directors), student placements, consultants and contractors, affiliated associations, clients, parents, guardians, families and others associated with the YMCA NSW to understand the important responsibility they have to:
- Protect children, young people and vulnerable adults from all forms of abuse, bullying and exploitation by our people;
- Be alert to incidents of abuse and neglect occurring outside the scope of our operations and services that may have an impact on the children, young people and vulnerable adults to whom we provide a service; and
- Create and maintain a safe culture that is understood, endorsed and put into action by all the individuals who work for, volunteer or access our programs and services.
Please click the links below to view our Safeguarding Policies, Standards of Conduct, and Safeguarding Brochure.
- YMCA Australia Safeguarding Children and Young People Policy
- YMCA NSW Safeguarding Children, Young People and Vulnerable Adults Policy
- Reporting Child Protection Concerns Policy
- Mandatory Reporting Procedure
- Responding to Allegations involving YMCA NSW staff procedure
Standards of Conduct
- Safe Behaviours Policy
- YMCA NSW Standards of Conduct
- Clients Standards of Conduct
- Practice and Behaviour Guidelines for Children and Young People
- Safeguarding Children, Young People and Vulnerable Adults Brochure (Eng)
- Safeguarding Children, Young People and Vulnerable Adults Brochure (Simp Chinese)
- Safeguarding Children, Young People and Vulnerable Adults Brochure (Trad Chinese)
- Safeguarding Children, Young People and Vulnerable Adults Brochure (Viet)
- Safeguarding Children, Young People and Vulnerable Adults Brochure (Arabic)
- Safeguarding Children, Young People and Vulnerable Adults Brochure (Greek)
- Safeguarding Children, Young People and Vulnerable Adults Brochure (Korean)