We believe this iconic program should be accessible to all young people, regardless of circumstances. Your generous support can be life-changing for young people who are experiencing marginalisation or disadvantage.
In 2024, we are removing barriers for diverse young people with the launch of our YP Sponsorship Program. At the Y, we believe in the power of inspired young people, and Youth Parliament is one of the best places to see this mission in action. The Sponsorship Program will give disadvantaged young people the opportunity to gain leadership and advocacy skills, create meaningful friendships and have their voices heard, without a financial barrier.
All young people not only deserve to be heard, and we must champion those who are experiencing marginalisation or disadvantage in order to reach a more inclusive and socially just society. We have so much to learn from young people and so much to gain from including them in important conversations and decisions. Their big ideas, dreams and stories should be listened to. Youth Parliament empowers young people to step out into their communities and make the changes they wish to see. They may be our future leaders but listen to them now because they are already leading.
What is Youth Parliament?
Operating for over two decades, Youth Parliament enables high school students in Years 10 to 12 to build confidence, develop leadership skills, engage with civic leadership, policy development and democratic parliamentary debate.
The Youth Parliament program plays an important role in public discourse with a focus on empowerment and advocacy. It provides a platform for young people to have their voices heard on issues that are important to them and their local communities.
Led by young people for young people, participants receive training over a six-month period that includes in-person camps and online workshops. They create Youth Bills with recommendations on issues for change, debate in a mock sitting week in NSW Parliament and present to Members of Parliament and peak bodies.
This incredible program opens doors of opportunity for the leaders of tomorrow. Every young person deserves this opportunity, no matter their circumstances.
We’re calling for sponsors to break down barriers and open doors of opportunity for young people who are:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander
- Living with a disability
- Experiencing financial hardship
- Culturally and linguistically diverse
- Living/have lived in out-of-home care
- Living in regional and rural areas
Your support will help cover a young person’s entry fee, training camp, accommodation, transport and food.
We welcome full or half sponsorships to cover the entry fee of $1400 for a single participant. Sponsors benefit from:
- An invitation to the opening and closing ceremony, and 'thank you' morning tea at NSW Parliament House in July.
- Positive community impact and alignment to corporate social responsibility.
- Acknowledgment and brand exposure on the Y NSW website.
- An official YP certificate of acknowledgment.
- A YP social tile to share acknowledging sponsorship.
- A report outlining the achievements of the YP 2024 cohort.
- A copy of the Youth Bill created by the young person you have sponsored.
- A tax-deductible receipt.
Help us to champion young voices through the Youth Parliament Sponsorship Program and see the power of inspired young people in action.Back to news