YMCA NSW believes that people of all abilities should be able to access health and wellbeing opportunities.
Looking on the Brightside...
Brightside is a free 60-day program that gives people experiencing mental health issues the opportunity to enhance their physical health, wellbeing and social engagement.*
This makes a positive impact on their recovery journey.
The program includes:
- 60 days of unlimited access to a fitness facility
- Weekly one-on-one time with a fitness professional
- Unlimited access to group exercise classes
- ‘Buddy membership’ for a friend, family member, or support worker to attend with the participant free of charge
- Introducing clients to positive nutrition and incidental exercise and how this facilitates positive mental health
Today in Australia 1 in 5 people will be experiencing mental health issues in any given year. That’s almost one person in every family. Almost half (45%) of the population will experience a mental illness at some stage of their life**.
The mental health benefits of exercise
Exercise has the capacity to make people feel good because it releases chemicals like endorphins and serotonin that improves mood. It can also get people out into the world, help reduce feelings of loneliness and isolation and put people in touch with their community.
Regular exercise can reduce stress and symptoms of mental health conditions like depression and anxiety, and help with recovery from mental health issues.
How to get started with Brightside
If you would like more information about where to go from here, please Contact us
If you would like to make a donation to YMCA Brightside, please click the button below.
Make a Donation
* Participants in the ACT may be charged a $10 administration fee.
** Source: www.blackdoginstitute.org.au