Starting from 2 July 2018, Australia will have a new child care package called the Child Care Subsidy (CCS) which will replace the existing Child Care Benefit (CCB) and Child Care Rebate (CCR) schemes.
CCS will be primary way for the Government to assist families with their child care fees.
What’s changing and how will this affect you?
- CCS is a new single means tested subsidy
- The subsidy is paid directly to providers to be passed on to families
- It’s simpler than the current multi-payment system
- CCS will provide more assistance to low and middle income families
How does it work?
There are three factors that will determine a family's level of Child Care Subsidy:
- Combined family income
- Activity Test – the activity level of both parents
- Service Type – type of child care service
What do I need to do?
Families should start thinking about how the changes may affect them by reviewing the new child care package brochure.
Families currently using child care will be contacted in early 2018 with more details about the changes.
How can you prepare for the change?
A Family Child Care Subsidy Estimator is available to make it easy for families to get an idea of what their new subsidy might be under the new child care package.
Need more information?
A range of information resources are available to assist families and providers understand the details of the new Child Care Subsidy:
YMCA NSW is working closely with QikKids to ensure our system is integrated with the changes, and to understand how these changes will affect our day to day processes.
If you have any questions, please contact the Department of Education.